There is so much to explore in and around Ashford and the National Park!
AREA ACTIVITIES FOR VISITORS OF ALL AGES
- Northwest Trek Wildlife Park in Eatonville, WA is a classic trip for families and children. Ride the tram, take the walking tour, hike nature trails, visit Cheney Discovery Center and much more! Children of all ages love this trip. It's also great for mobility-impaired visitors.
- Mt. Rainier Scenic Railroad offers an amazingly beautiful trip through our Cascade Mountains at the base of Mt. Rainier.
- EZ Times Outfitters in Ashford, WA offers horseback trail rides for adults and kids.
FISHING, SWIMMING, & BOATING
There are lots of fishing options near Mt. Rainier. You may even catch something in Big Creek, just steps from our three creekside cabins! For a variety of water activities, we recommend:
- Mineral Lake: Located about 20 minutes SE of Ashford off Hwy 7, Mineral Lake is stocked with trout annually, and you can rent everything you need for a day on the water at the Mineral Lake Resort, including fishing poles, bait & tackle, row boats, and pontoon boats.
- Alder Lake: Also a 20 minute drive from Ashford is Alder Lake, situated about midway between Eatonville and Elbe. This large lake has 2 boat ramps, a swimming beach, picnic area, playground, and is a great place for outdoor summer recreation. Check out the impressive dam from Alder Lake Park!
- Holiday Lake: For guests staying at one of our 4 Paradise Estates area cabins (Lazy Bears Creekside Cabin, Little Bears Cabin, Starry Nights by the Creek, and Cedar Cabin on the Creek), you can enjoy access to this small neighborhood lake which offers a park and play area, floating dock for swimmers, and fishing from the shore.
MOUNT RAINIER ACTIVITIES
- Day Hiking Rainier: Hikers of every ability can enjoy the trails of Mt. Rainier, which range from easy 1/2 mile loops to multi-mile climbs. The late-summer wildflowers are not to be missed!
- Mount Tahoma Trails Association: Find information about hiking the hut trail system in the foothills of Mt. Rainier.
- Waterfalls: Some of the most scenic waterfalls in the Pacific Northwest can be found in the areas surrounding our Washington State cabins including Chinook Creek Falls, Comet Falls, Bloucher Falls, Fairy Falls, Little Mashel Falls, Margaret Falls, Spray Falls, Tatoosh Falls and Upper Stevens Creek Falls.
- Ranger-Guided Programs: Topics vary from day to day, and may include geology, wildlife, ecology, mountaineering, or park history.
- Backpacking Mount Rainier from the Park Service
- Climbing Mount Rainier from the Park Service